Farm Update Friday April 10
April 13, 2009
By Nat Wilson
There were two songbirds stuck in the propagation house when I got to the farm on Friday afternoon. I opened the doors, and they quickly found their way out.
We had a pretty good day, overall. It threatened to rain a couple of times, but during the workday never really followed through. We prepared twelve new beds, and worked on pulling the winter’s cover of chickweed. Mike and Chelsea turned compost, while Eunice cut down dead stalks on the berms between the terraces, and Vivianne worked, carefully weeding the aparagus terrace. In general, the day felt a lot like
preparation for the improving season, and we uncovered and stirred up beds, ready to be planted or tilled.
We harvested a bit of the spinach, mizuna, kale, and arugula that the greenhouse continues to produce. The asparagus has started to send up stocky green and red shoots that tasted wonderful on pizza.
The rain finally did come once the workday was over. I look forward to seeing the farm continue to unfold and come fully back to life over the next couple of months.